Re: Building costs?

To: mjb@cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Building costs?
From: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 17:33:43 -0600
Miscellaneous Rural Structures.  All square-foot-of-floor-area costs are
based on professional labor supervised by a contractor or his job
foreman.  For amateur workmanship, costs should be decreased by 15% or
30% to reflect the proper wage rate and lack of supervision relative to
the quality of the work.

Barns Low cost
        Wood $8.80,     Pre-eng steel $9.00,    Wood pole/metal
$7.80,  Masonry $11.85.
Barns Average
        Wood $12.20,    Pre-eng steel $12.35,   Wood pole/metal
$10.90, Masonry $15.40
Barns Good
        Wood $17.05,    Pre-eng steel $16.90,   Wood pole/metal
$15.20, Masonry $20.05

Add $4.45 to $6.85 per foot for loft.

Example: 40 x 100 low cost pole barn that Mark supervises.  4000 sq ft *
$7.80 * .7 = $21,840.

3" un-reinforced concrete slab will cost about $1.47 to $2.38 per square
foot.  Add $.16 to $.42 for mesh.

This information came from the Marshall & Swift Cost Handbook.  I believe
that the pole barn type of structure they are quoting it the "out of the
box type", and probably includes minimal electrical outlets and lighting,
modest heat, minimal windows and doors and no floor.

Caution: Your mileage may vary.

Larry Hoy