Re: Air Compressors

To: eabb@loc.gov
Subject: Re: Air Compressors
From: MRogers726@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 23:21:40 -0500 (EST)

<< I filled it until excess ran out the filler plug) or am I looking at a
compressor
 totally worn out and heading south.  If it's toast, is it worth having
 rebuilt  (it's a hugh old Ingersoll-Rand 2 stage)
 Any advice appreciated.  >>
Evening Eugene;
you hopefully have a filler hole located that isnt any higher than the crank
centerline?? otherwise you seriously overfilled it! Compressors are simple
lumps and as long as they work reasonably well and don't clank (indicating
rod bearing noises just like a car) I use them. They go on forever! YOU can
pull it apart and look things over to see it's all ok and put new rings in
after a thousand or so hours and see what the flopper valves need. etc.
 Michael