Re: lubrication

To: reynolds@LL.MIT.EDU, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: lubrication
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 97 11:12:54 -0500
Item Subject: lubrication
     WD-40 is not a light oil, but I'm not sure what it is. It was
     originally developed to spray on things to prevent them from rusting.
     I've been told NOT to use it for such things as lubricating bushings
     in small electric motors. 3-in-1 is the thing to use there; it's
     apparently equivalent to about SAE-5.
     WD-40 is really not that great as a penetrating oil.  For a
     penetrating oil, I've had better luck with "Release-All".
     Graphite's good where you can't handle grit sticking to it; it's often
     recommended for such things as starter motor pinions and door locks.
     The idea is that you can't live with it thickening over time.
     Vaseline seems to be good over battery posts to prevent "green crud
     build-up." Sort of as a sealer against the elements; it will stay put.
     White grease just seems to be light-duty grease. I use it intuitively
     where I think it will work well, with no real knowledge of why. It's
     good for rear brake cylinders that slide on backing plates, or for
     speedometer cables.
     If anyone knows that I'm doing something I'll regret later, your
     comments are welcome!
     Hope this helps,

     Jim Wallace
     jwallace@canada.hp.com