Re: Varsol

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Varsol
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 17:17:20 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Steve Dillen wrote:

> It's interesting that everyone is having a hard time finding Varsol.
> Here in Vancouver, BC, you can buy it at any hardware store.  I usually
> buy mine at Home Depot or Revy (used to be Lumberland).  It's in 1
> gallon (well, 4 litre)  jugs, and is right next to the acetone, solvent,
> thinner, kerosene, turpentine, etc. . .  It's about the same price as
> kerosene.
>
> I'm not sure if maybe I'm missing something and you guys are looking for
> that 'stealth' varsol :-)

Varsol is (or used to be) a brand name under which mineral spirits was
sold.  Like "Kleenex", the brand name became the generic name for mineral
spirits.  You can get mineral spirits in any paint or hardware store,
usually labeled "paint thinner".

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us