Re: Recommendations for handling spam

To: Steve Hammatt <shammatt@sos.net>, corvair@thunderbolt.mitre.org,
Subject: Re: Recommendations for handling spam
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@krusty-motorsports.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 23:52:05 -0500
At 09:21 AM 12/22/97 -0800, Steve Hammatt wrote:
>I recently reported some spam to what I thought was the
>originating site.  I received the following very helpful
>information.  Thought I'd share it.

actually, it's of very limited value. netcom has some real problems when it
comes to dealing with the spam problem; their management isn't letting their
abuse desk do that which is necessary. it's so bad, netcom has been added to
the MAPS RBL list (see http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for details) because they
won't close their mail relays and they won't shut down web sites and email
drop boxes advertised in spam originating elsewhere.

i wouldn't take any advice on interpreting spam headers received from
netcom's abuse department seriously. there are a number of _significant_
errors and misleading statements in the document they sent Steve.

richard
   chief internet engineer,
   inet solutions
--
Richard Welty                                             518-783-9003 (days)
rwelty@krusty-motorsports.com              http://www.krusty-motorsports.com/