Re: speed control

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: speed control
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:26:00 -0500
-> It gets worse. You also need a DC motor that will run about $400 for
-> 1hp. The prices in Grainger's are, unfortunately, hard to beat.

 How is it I can buy a 3/4hp variable speed drill for $75?  I know the
power is overrated and the service factor stinks, but I don't understand
what makes one type of application cost so much more than another.

-> How about using 4 or 5-step pulleys? Not as cool, cause you gotta
-> stop and move the belt, but it's WAY cheap.

 I'm already using step pulleys.  However, I need to vary the speed
somewhat in between the ranges.  And it's not practical to stop while
doing it.  I don't need a *lot* of speed adjustment, but I have to
compensate for load changes.

 I thought about going to a 2hp, 3400 RPM motor, geared down to 100
RPM, and not worrying about speed changing with load... but by the time
it saw enough load to worry about it'd probably rip the stones right off
the holders.