Re: Convertible Top Patterns

To: otmc@bc1.com
Subject: Re: Convertible Top Patterns
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 12:02:45 -0500
>Does anyone know of  a source for convertible top patterns? Also, has
>anyone on this list made their own top before? I am restoring a
>Spitfire, and I would like to fabricate as many of the parts myself.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark Milotay

I have made my own top for a boat (Not all that different) and what I can
tell you is that you MUST have a commercial sewing machine!  Even a heavy
duty Home type Singer machine will not do the job

As far as patterns go, I slit the seams on the old top and used the pieces
to duplicate the shapes that I wanted.  I wouldn't say it turned out great
... but it was OK.  Shape was fine but the seams suffered terribly because
I did not have the right machine for the job.  Also don't forget that you
need specialized thread (heavy duty / waxed / Dacron / UV stabilized /
etc.)  I'm pretty handy and have tried many things once ... but having
attempted this once I would not be anxious to try it again unless I was
really desperate!