Re: Atlas Lathe

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: Atlas Lathe
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 19:38:58 -0600

Chris said it well:

> If a part is round, needs to be round, or has a round section, the
> lathe is the right machine to use to make, modify or repair it. If
> I had a bigger lathe, I'd turn my own brake discs and drums -
that's
> a key point next time I upgrade.

However,  "round" can be too restrictive a constraint!

I marched into my machining "guru's" place one day and starting
describing the milling machine work
I wanted performed on a piece of heavy wall one inch square steel
tubing.   I wanted .060 milled off each of the four sides of the four
inch long piece so that I could use it as a slip-joint inside some
thin 1" tubing.
Al, my machinist friend never looked up from his project, he just
said:  "You can do that on your little Atlas 6 inch, just turn the
piece flat against the face of your 4 jaw chuck, clamp it with the
jaws and turn  .060 off each face."    As I went out the door, I
yelled back: "I KNEW THAT!"
:-)
Tony