Re: Parts Washer Warning

To: "Roger Gibbs" <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Parts Washer Warning
From: "John Hardy" <hardwire@webleicester.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 23:29:54 +0100
I've been reading the stuff about the perceived dangers of indulgingbin our
hobbies. I also noted with some alarm the commencement of flaming .

Might I suggest that the motive behind the warnings was one of concern and
the contributors should be thanked. There does, however, seem to be a
fashion for scaremongering and frightening the life out of anyone who does
anything originating from control freaks with nothing better to do, or
worse still, from people who are paid to do it. Our friend who took the
entire population of California to task has a point but could have made it
more gently.

There is a risk in any pastime and these risks should be weighed against
the practicality of guarding against them. I speak as one who has struggled
with misting up goggles whilst wearing a mask. Sometimes you have to choose
between risking blindness or a case of Black Lung. It should also be noted
that there's a limit to what you can acheive crawling under a car wearing a
spacesuit.

I've also yet to have a parts washer that continues to function after being
used for more than half an hour. Mine has been bloody useless. The only
solvents that are any earthly use are illegal. I've resorted to using
paraffin or even petrol. I even sometimes extinguish my cigarette
beforehand.

I've spent the weekend delving into the art of silver soldering. Now that's
a frustrating way of spending an hour or two.

Blessings be upon you, JH