Re: Air Compressor HP?

To: John Hardy <hardwire@webleicester.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor HP?
From: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 17:55:00 -0400
John Hardy wrote:

- BIG SNIP -

> It will prove difficult to get anything above 14cfm with a single phase
> motor but my horizons have expanded considerably since I installed 3 phase.
>
> Blessings be upon you and yours
>
>                       JH

John,

I envy your access to three phase, for most of us that requires a single
phase to 3 phase converter at some cost and varying efficiencies and
output.  But I agree, three phase is how all power should come.  The
motors are much lighter, simpler, more efficient and cheaper.

But if you are stuck with single phase, like most residential users, CH
makes a 220VAC, 29 amp, single phase, dual stage unit that puts out a
whopping 27 CFM at 90 PSI.  IR makes a wide range of single phase units
(v-twins) that put out 24 CFM at 175 PSI, Quincy has a single phase unit
that puts out 25 CFM at 100 PSI (80 gallon unit that draws 32 amps and
weighs in at 700 pounds). Most of Quincy's 5 HP units are rated at 18 or
19 CFM on single phase.

Again, I agree that three phase is the way to go if you have it, but
there are some HO alternatives for us "phase deprived" individuals.

doug