Re: Painting brake drums

To: "Ken Landaiche" <ken_landaiche@dlcc.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Painting brake drums
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 23:47:39 -0500
----------
> From: Ken Landaiche

> I just spent a few hours de-rusting some brake drums and wonder how
> keep them from rusting again. Can I paint them with some high
> temperature paint. Or will that affect their heat dissipation
ability?
> If I can paint them safely, what paint do you recommend?

Ken,
I've found a product which should be perfect for rusty brake drums.
It's "Rust Prime" from Balandis Chemical Co in Houston.  It's
actually a phosphoric acid solution with some wetting agents and
extenders somewhat like paint shop "metal prep" but maybe stronger
and cheaper ($14 a gal.)  The label says it converts oxides to
phosphates which are stable therefore killing the rust and forming a
tight surface for primer or paint.  I've used it for years on old
trailers, antique machinery, etc., and it is better than anything
I've seen.  I brush or blast off any loose rust and mop on a couple
of coats and let it work overnight.  It turns steel and iron very
black. There is often some white powder residue which wipes off with
another dab of "RP".  You can paint right over it with anything but
latex or epoxy - - I'd use Hi-Temp black on the brake drums.  I find
it at builder supply stores . . it's thin as water, goes a long way.

Tony