Re: Air Compressor HP?

To: "Douglas Shook (by way of George Zhookoff <zookstr@mindspring.com>)" <dshook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor HP?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 00:14:34 -0400
Douglas Shook (by way of George Zhookoff ) wrote:
> These units really are not 6 HP (this rating, I believe is based
> upon the power they can put out for a very brief timespan).

  My best guess is that the rating is the stall current on
the motor. It's not really possible to stall a compressor
motor, which is why they don't blow fuses I guess.

  The units I am looking at have to be 120V, that's my requirement
because I need it to be portable. The six foot high 220V models
are out of the question.

  The two I am most considering are the 5hp 20gallon ones that
seem everywhere, Campbell Hausfield seems the most popular around
here. Another one that looked nice was a 6.5hp 30 gallon model
from Coleman.

  What would I kick myself over if I bought either of these
units? At this time, I am mostly looking at painting but would
get the compressor in advance so I could run an air chisel
and who knows what else I might get into.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/