Re: Solvent Disposal/Reclamation

To: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Solvent Disposal/Reclamation
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 17:56:28 -0700
My community has a hazardous waste collection facility, open several days a
week.  They collect oil, solvent, paint, antifreeze, etc.  They claim a 5
gallon limit per visit.  The only restrictions are no ammunition, medical
waste or radioactive items, and that you are a resident of the community.

> A question, though, since I recycle my motor oil in 5 gallon quantities
> at the local Chief autoparts store, if one were to mix a little solvent
> with the motor oil, would it be "salvageable" rather than just
> incinerated (or whatever they do with the materials collected as
> "toxics")?
>
> I would not want to destroy the oil reclamation/recycling by "polluting"
> it with solvent, but it seems like this might be a way to actually
> recycle the stuff rather than burn or bury it.

I took in my used solvent, in a separate container from the oil.  Anything
containing a solvent needed to be handled in a separate process from the oil
products.  They told me there generally wasn't a problem mixing engine oil
and transmission oil, but that was about all that could be mixed.  Anything
more could contaminate the whole batch and cause it to be refused.

If you don't know where to go, check the waste disposal section of your
yellow pages for something in your local area.

Brian Kemp