Re: Graingers Vs. HD

To: Douglas Shook <dshook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Graingers Vs. HD
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 10:14:21 +0000
Douglas Shook wrote:

> This question drills right to the core of much of what we discuss here.
> I have shopped at Home Depot, Home Base, and the like for about as long
> as they have been around. Their prices are usually as good as anybody's
> for what they sell.
>
> Maybe it is because I have grown tired of the swarming mentality of HD
> (I still buy my sprinkler heads there), but it is so nice to have a
> choice of high quality products that meet the specifcations of the job,
> rather than settle for the limited product range determined by HD lowest
> cost mentality.
.....good stuff deleted ...

> On a pulpit again, I guess--I apologize....
>
> doug

Doug (& list),

No need to apologize, it looks like our philosophies are very similiar. About
15 years
ago I decided that I would buy only quality tools (for the most part).... you
know, "you
feel the pain of a high quality tool once (when you pay for it), but you enjoy
the
quality for the rest of life .... but you feel the pain of a low quality tool
every time
you use it".  I do buy occasional tools at very low cost where I plan to use
them once,
or maybe modify them to a specific task.

I really enjoy picking up a quality tool and looking for the differences which
seperate
it from a low quality "look alike" tool.  My question was aimed at making me a
little
bit more educated as to what the specifications and features of a $400
Graingers exhaust
fan had that a $160 HD whole house fan had missing ?

Seriously I want to thank Doug and this list for sharing some like minded ideas
and
philosophies.  My co-workers and neighbors are, for the most part, "tool and
process
challenged".  It is nice to hear about other lunatics who want to have a
workshop where
they might be able to weld, drill, restore cars, cut wood, etc.

-Roger