Re: Compressors

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Compressors
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:38:50 -0400
At 12:18 PM 8/20/98 +1200, Hamish Hubbard (and Ode) wrote:

>Well, I discovered that 3-phase power is very difficult to get
>installed in your home in New Zealand so the maximum power limit
>on a compressor I could buy would be around 2.5hp (2.5 "true" hp).

Hi Hamish
3 phase power is difficult to get in the US also it is mostly used at
industrial sites and is not generally available down at the residetial
local level unless the electric company were to install the equipment
to supply it.  If I'm not mistaken you use 220 volt service don't you?
I have a 20 gallon tank with a 5 Hp (DeVilbiss) setup which is about
right for just about any air tool.   Ingersoll Rand is also a quality
manufacturer and what you quote (10cfm at 125psi) is a very respectable
air flow and would keep up with almost all air tools at 100% duty cycle.
The only exception I can think of would be a large sand blaster or DA
dual action sander in which case you probably don't use them for
extended periods of time at 100% duty cycle anyway (I know I don't).
I am a little skeptical that one can get that much air flow from only
2 hp since I'm getting only slightly more with a 5hp 220v motor and
it draws close to 40 amps at 220 volts.  I hope this helps you decide.

Regards  Nils
Yardley,  PA
59(100-6)  69XKE  72/73MGB  52MGTD