Re: Removing Engine Sludge

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Removing Engine Sludge
From: "Hamish Hubbard (and Ode)" <ode@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:46:49 +1200
GDonati@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have any tool or fluid or technique they can recommend for
> removing sludge and varnish from inside of an engine without disassembling it
> completely?  The engine (' 88 Ford 302)  runs very well otherwise, just noisey
> lifters and crud on the bottom of the oil pan.  My understanding is that
> flushing fluids will "pick up" the sludge and plug the pump screen and other
> orifices.    Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Greg Donati

The sludge is really only in the bottom of the sump, not the
rest of the engine, though there may be other buildups in the
rest of the engine of crud depending on age, the sludge in the sump
could be considered to be normal buildup not indicative of sludge
throughout the engine (IMHO). As with all engine consumables, avoid
the ones that claim they will increase power output and you are
likely to be OK, if you do wish to flush the engine.

Hamish

--
Mini Cooper Web: http://www.mini.org/minirestoration/CooperWeb.html
Mini FAQ: http://www.mini.org/minirestoration/Technical/TechFAQ.html