Re: Suspending a hoist

To: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Suspending a hoist
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 22:49:02 -0500
From: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>

>At 09:08 PM 10/3/98 -0500, [Phil] wrote:
>>Don't use an eyebolt.  Put a 2x6 across several joists.  Put a length of
>>chain around the 2x6.  Attach your hoist to this loop of chain.
>>
>What if I have a sheet rock ceiling?

You are going to have to bite the bullet.  Go up in the attic.  Place your
beam across several joists.  Cut holes in the sheet-rock  for the chain
loop.  I recall swapping a new Cadillac engine in Flip Shockley's garage
with such a setup.  He towed his SAAB ice racer with a Thomas hearse.

This reminds me of my Dad's attached garage.  It has a plastered ceiling
with an access hatch.  When we wanted to change around some SAAB/Ford V4
engines, one of my buddies (Duane Johnson, the builder of the Johnson-SAAB
single-seater I used to autocross) got a piece of steel I-beam somewhere.
We put it up in the attic and let it span the open hatch and several joists.
Hung a chain loop around it and hooked on the come-along.  After we were
done swapping engines around, we pushed the I-beam aside so we could get the
hatch back in.  I assume it is still lying up there a quarter-century later.

Europa, Quantum Syncro, Suburban
LOON, VTR, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/