Re: Extra jack height (more)

To: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Extra jack height (more)
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:41:33 -0400
Mike Sloane wrote:
> No, Chris, DO NOT make a tapered ramp for the jack - that is just
> inviting more trouble. If you need a little height, drive the front tires
> up on a couple of slabs of 2x8; that will give you almost 2" more height
> under the car to work with. Also, in your case, I suggest you find
> something to place behind and in front of the rear tires to keep the car
> from rolling and/or set the parking brake.

No, no!  Not a tapered ramp, I'm keeping the wood flat, just an angled
cut at the end to help get the jack up.  The working surface would
remain flat.  I'm just talking like a 45 degree angle at the end.
Laying on the floor and trying to lift a 90lb jack onto a 2" or 4"
high piece of wood doesn't sound like fun.  If I can at least get one
set of wheels up easy it might make it easier.

Not something like this:

  ______
  |     -----_____
  |               -----_____

Something like this:

  ___________________________
  |                          \
  |                           \

As for blocking the wheels, I do that... and as for something under
the tires, I have that as well, but since I can push the car up by
hand far enough to get the jack under the jacking point, I don't use
them.  Having the tires up higher at the beginning doesn't raise the
total height that the jack can go to, either... although I guess I
could put the jack on wood at first if I had the front tires up
already.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap          mailto:heerschap@eng.kns.com