Re: AUTOMATIC DRAIN VALVE - COMPRESSOR

To: jniolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: AUTOMATIC DRAIN VALVE - COMPRESSOR
From: Tim.Mullen@trw.com (Tim Mullen)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:57:28 -0500
jniolon@uss.com wrote:

> Does anyone have plans they would share for building an
> automatic type drain valve for an air compressor..I've seen
> them in the catalogs...and they're neat...and they're expensive

Depends on what you mean and what you want it for.

Many years ago, I bought an automatic drain valve for my air
compressor.  I have no idea where I bought it (most likely a hardware
or autoparts store) or who makes it, but I remember that it cost
$5-10.  It simply replaces the drain valve that screws into the bottom
of the tank.  When the pressure in the tank gets below about 10 PSI,
it opens, and all (hopefully) the water in the tank comes out.  It's
good for me - occasional use for impact wrenches and air ratchets,
probably not good for heavy duty continuos use where tank pressure
seldom drops below 10 PSI and /or you tend to build up water in the
tank...

Tim Mullen