Re: Welding / grinding screens

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Welding / grinding screens
From: "Ronald G. Trimmer" <trimmerr@icon-stl.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 09:37:08 -0600
Brad:

I made a bulletin board / welding screen.  I got 2 sheets of 4x8 ATLAS 1/2"
to 9/16" high performance insulating sheathing--a rigid polyios foam.  I also
got some U trim for trellises frames or deck use.  It came in 8 ft lengths so
I had to cut a little(about 1 1/2") off two sides of the sheathingIt is about
1 3/8" to 1 1/2" on a side.  I use the U trim to make a frame around the
edge.  I used lap joints at the corner.  I just glued it together and painted
it.  I put a series of little hinges along a long edge of each one.  I used
hinges with removable pins.  I used little bolts to hold the hinges to the U
trim.  I may attach eye bolts across the top and put some hooks in the bottom
edges of the trusses so I can also hang them.  They will probably not stand
up to splatter, but should keep people from viewing the arc.

The sheets are very light weight.  So the only weight comes from the frame.
My idea could be modified.  Two 4x4 pieces could be made from one sheet.
Another idea would be to make one 4x8.  Use it with the 4 ft side as the
height.  Make some removable legs or stand for each end.

Hope these ideas are useful.

Ron Trimmer
Mitchell, IL
"Let us vote!"