Disposing of Brake Fluid

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Disposing of Brake Fluid
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 05:32:00 -0500

-> I've seen discussion on this list in the past dealing with the
-> disposal of used anti-freeze and parts cleaning fluid, but I haven't
-> seen anything about brake fluid.  Does anyone know what the proper
-> method of disposal is for this stuff?

 Brake fluid is a glycol, similar to some types of antifreeze.  It is
biodegradable.  Most water treatment plants will have no trouble
handling it if you pour it down the drain.  Some areas recommend just
pouring small quantities out on the ground.

 Brake fluid looks and feels like an oil, but it's not.  The glycol
composition is what makes it hygroscopic; ie prone to absorb water, and
that's why you should flush the system every couple of years to prevent
internal corrosion in the brake system.

I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?
=================================== http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm