Re: Beam for chain hoist

To: Jim Van Hooser <jvanho01@tir.com>
Subject: Re: Beam for chain hoist
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:44:19 -0500
I second the advantages of the A-frame approach - although you don't
need to go to such massive structures.

For years I used what I call an I-frame [same as an A-frame except the
single vertical side posts] made from single 2x4s, corners braced with
slotted angle, good furniture castors, and a come-along on the vertical
via a pulley in the center to lift with. Advantages over usual engine
lifts are that you don't need ground clearance under the car [great for
race cars], can lift the car to put it on high stands, you can leave it
over the rear of the car when working on the front [or vice versa], its
lightweight, and cheap.

I sold it when we moved and bought a "proper" engine lift. Bad move -
not nearly as convenient. Just made myself another 2x4 I-frame.

Don't even consider a beam in the rafters unless you want a job on Shade
Tree Mechanic!

Derek