RE: Painting floors

To: "'R. John Lye'" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>, SGHT@aol.com,
Subject: RE: Painting floors
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 17:17:08 -0600
When I moved into my house 4 years ago the first thing I did was paint the
floor.  To get the 15 years of oil drips off the concrete I used TSP cleaner
(mix up a bucket, and sprinkle extra cleaner on the bad spots).  Rinse it
well and check for any remaining oily spots... I had to touch a few up a
second time.

After that I etched the floor with acid and hosed it out and squeegeed the
floor to get it to dry faster.

Sherwin Williams TileClad two part epoxy makes an excellent coating.  After
4 years the only problems I've had are having old rusty gas leave yellowish
stains (British cars do leak gas too!) and dropping a hammer/brake drum on
the floor will remove the paint (and the concrete below :-).  Other than
that, no problems.

I rolled the paint onto the floor.  One hint... wear old sneakers!  Also
make sure you have good ventilation....  the epoxy fumes are fun!

ymmv

Jim