Re: Lighting a garage... Was: Re: Heating Garage

To: tw@mcc.com
Subject: Re: Lighting a garage... Was: Re: Heating Garage
From: rwil@cts.com (Roland Wilhelmy)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 19:06:25 GMT
On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:14:18 -0600, you wrote:

:: This is a good idea - my father-in-law did the same thing in his shop, he
:: found one of those two-light stands on sale somewhere really cheap and just
:: took the two lights off and mounted them on a rafter so that one points
:: toward the bench top and the other toward his anvil (he's a blacksmith). He
:: has fluorescents in there but the extra supplemental light pointing right at
:: the work surfaces makes a tremendous difference.

Be careful with 600 watt halogens.  Halogen bulbs generate an awful
lot of heat, which besides being welcome in a cold garage can set
fires -- which aren't welcome, to say the least.  The housings get
very hot.  Most of the big halogen fixtures have a "for outdoor use
only" label on them for this reason.  I use them in my garage, but
very carefully.  I would never leave one unattended, for example.
YMMV.

-Roland