Re: capacitor start motor

To: "Susan and John Roper" <vscjohn@huntnet.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: capacitor start motor
From: "Leo S." <ldsp@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:32:05 -0600
Lets see if I can describe for you how to test a capacitor, The testing will
be done with a analog meter as a digital will not let you see the bounce. I
use a Simpson
model# 260  :
Test 1: Short test, a short circuited capacitor will provide a low
resistance reading with the ohmmeter. When a steady reading of zero ohms or
close to it is obtained the capacitor is shorted. by steady reading I mean
that the meter indicates a constant value and does not change after being
left connected to the terminals on a capacitor for a few seconds. in other
words, meter on ohms scale, R x ! scale , connect your meter to the
capacitor, one lead on one terminal, the other lead to the other terminal.
What you are looking for is a quick rise in the resistance value(the
capacitor will charge due to the voltage source from the meter) If it is
leaky the value will not go as high and will be much slower. Longer than a
couple of seconds.You will then reverse your leads and you should see an
immediate swing in the needle as it discharges.

No resistance reading at all indicates an open capacitor.

Leo
Hope this helps