Shed door sag - SOLVED

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Shed door sag - SOLVED
From: Lee Daniels <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:14:39 -0600
The solution to the sagging shed door was more obvious than I originally
thought.  All I had to do was *look*.  I failed to mention that the door is
actually newer than the rest of the shed.  And the hinges are old, too.
The problem is that the attachment of the hinges to the (old) trim piece on
the shed is "tired".  I've updated the pictures, and you'll see that the
space at the bottom of the door (hinge side) is much smaller that the space
at the top.  See:
   http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191/shed.html
I've drawn arrows to the trouble spots.  I'll fix it by replacing the old
trim piece (to which the hinges are attached).

One of you was right to note that the door is actually not made of separate
boards, but is a single sheet of plywood siding, so it really can't get
"racked".  The white trim pieces on the door stiffen it, but don't do
anything else.
Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas!

p.s. A cheap digital camera comes in really handy.  The resolution is very
low,but it gets the idea across.  It's a Minolta D'image-Pic, bought at
Sam's Club for $150.

   Lee M. Daniels         Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
   daniels@tamu.edu                                 Texas A&M University
   http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191