RE: Auto Transport Trailers

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Auto Transport Trailers
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:19:08 -0700
The bars that allow you to transfer weight to the front of the tow vehicle
are the equalizing bars (that form the 'equalizing' part of the hitch).
 Some hitches also incorporate a sway control, which is a separate device
just to dampen sway.

The equalizing bars to seem to help considerably, but I have seen trailers
fishtail even with them.

Personally, I dislike the electronic controllers, because they under-react
when you jam on the brakes, and over-react when you are just riding the
brakes down a hill.  You can trade one for the other, but you can't have
both right.  Still a whole bunch better'n nothing !

On Thursday, April 15, 1999 1:32 PM, Tw Cook [SMTP:tw@texas.net] wrote:

> Re swaying trailers - the trailer I'm currently using (belongs to a
friend
> who conveniently doesn't have room to store it at his house) has an
> equalizing hitch, which includes anti-sway bars. I'd not used on of these
> before but it is great - it allows you to essentially move some of the
> tongue weight to the front axle, so if you happen to load heavy on the
> tongue, you can just jack up the equalizing bars a notch to compensate.
Have