RE: Electrical Hookup

Subject: RE: Electrical Hookup
From: Mark Miller <markm@tutsys.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:47:43 -0700
#2 aluminum wire is rated up to 75 (up to 100 in different temp rating but
still more than 50) amps per the 1999 NEC.  A bigger concern is the second
line.  Typically a four wire hookup is one ground, one neutral, and two OUT
OF PHASE hot legs.  this is how you generate 220 VAC - each line to neutral
is 110 vac and they are out of phase ( one is positive when the other is
negative) so that there is 220VAC between the wires.  If the system is
perfectly balanced there would be no current in the neutral leg, but with
most typical loads there will be current running back the neutral.  I would
recommend replacing the 30Amp breaker with a two phase breaker - it will
cover two spots in the panel and give you both phases.  This will probably
mean replacing the wiring as well to get you the extra conductor.  If so my
personal paranoia says to go with copper wiring.

If you have questions you should check with a licensed electrician.

Mark Miller