Re: elastic stop nut torque multiplier?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: elastic stop nut torque multiplier?
From: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:20:52 -0500
On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 02:09:19PM -0700, Landaiche Ken (Nokia/PL) wrote:
> Why would you use a multiplier? As I understand torque settings,
> they are an indirect way of getting a particular tension on a bolt.
> The nylock insert shouldn't affect that. On the other hand, the
> nylon section would shorten the number of threads holding the nut
> frictionally to the bolt. And more tension (via torque) would
> increase the side friction on the threads. Is that what you are
> after?

That's not what I was after.  My thought was that some of the torque
applied is ``used up'' overcoming the friction of the nylon against
the threads as the fastener is tightened.  (I.e. you cannot spin a
nylok nut down a stud like you can a regular steel nut.)

What was pointed out to me, though, is that the extra torque required
to overcome the nylon friction is probably less than 1 lb-ft.  In
fact, it's even measurable.  So, whatever extra torque would be
required, it would be ADDITIVE and not MULTIPLICATIVE.  And it would
probably be within the range already given for the torque spec, so
torquing to the top end of the range would probably be good enough.
--
                                                          Matt Liggett
                                               Professional Dilettante