Re: Bon-Ami

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, super_racenut@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Bon-Ami
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:31:26 -0700
Steve Budde <super_racenut@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The reason I am asking is I have recently rebuilt my engine and
> used Mobil 1 in it.  I have recently been told that you can't break in an
> engine with synthetic oil.  Is this true?   <...>

What makes you think the rings haven't seated?  Have you done a compression
check?  Is it using too much oil?  Before you pour Bon-Ami or baking powder
into you engine, make sure you need to - make SURE the rings haven't seated.

In my case (the Vega engine), I was only risking a couple of hundred bucks and
some of my time...  It *was* only a Vega after all...

Tim Mullen
Chantilly, VA

72 Lotus Elan Sprint
94 Miata R package