Re: Paint guns

To: Eric J Petrevich/LRM <inch@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: Paint guns
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:49:59 -0400
Eric J Petrevich/LRM wrote:

> Is there a way to find the correct pressure setting a paint gun uses if you
> no longer have the documentation?

  Depending on what you are painting, the pressure setting
will be with the product. (ie: on the can, or on the feature
sheet)

> I was wondering, what are the symptoms for too low a pressure and to high
> of pressure?

  Too low pressure you don't get enough atomization,
and the paint won't go on smoothly. Too high of pressure you
get too much overspray, and the paint may harden too soon,
and not flow out, leading to roughness and orange peel.

> (Today I shot primer on my truck and boy do I want to get the pressure
> right for the top coat!)

  Check the product sheets. Primer is often around 35 psi
and topcoat is often 50-60psi.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca