The definitive word window cleaners.....

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: The definitive word window cleaners.....
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:55:45 -0400
A month or so ago I posted a question to the group asking for
recommendations on the best product/technique for cleaning windows,
particularly the inside that gets that film on them for evaporating vinyl. I
got a lot of interesting and good recommendations. One of the most unusual
was tooth paste. (I haven't tried it)

The consensus was that the best product was Bon Ami. I learned that there
are two species of Bon Ami. One is the most common and it clearly says, "Not
for use on glass or mirrors." There supposedly is a softer one that can be
used on glass, but I have not been unable to locate it anywhere. One reply
said that it was available through a GM Parts Department. I've checked with
two GM dealers parts departments and they both tell me that they have never
seen anything like this in the 10+ years that they have been in the parts
business. So much for the powdered variety.

Bon Ami also makes an aerosol spray that is almost as difficult to find.
However, I finally found it in a True Value Hardware store. I am not sure if
they all carry it, but try there first. I've used it and it is the best
thing I've tried thus far. When you spray it on and get some on your vinyl
dash, you will find that it cleans that great too.

There are some other things I learned, and have tried and will vouch for.
1) Use wadded up newspaper to clean the spray off rather than towels, paper
towels, etc. There is something about the roughness of the newspaper that
makes it clean very well.
2) When doing your windows, use vertical strokes on one side and horizontal
strokes on the other. If you do, you can tell which side your streaks are
on.

FWIW.....GJB