RE: HELP freeing stuck wheel bearing

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: HELP freeing stuck wheel bearing
From: "Lyn Fatt, Brian A" <brian.lynfatt@eds.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 00:33:57 -0400
I have a similar setup on my daily driver. Have you tried just
pressing the new bearing in and pushing out the old one at
the bottom of the knuckle? The force of the new bearing outer
shell should be enough to push on the old one. If you use a
flat steel plate, the load would be spread evenly around the
bearing.

Could also be your press...Have you tried a higher rated one?
When I was doing the job on my car, the race let go with a bang!
I used the new bearing to push out the old one, and I was
pulling pretty hard on the handle.

I have also used a grinder on a race that was welded to the
spindle. The race is definetely some tough stuff!

Regards,
Brian