Re: Gas line to shop?

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Gas line to shop?
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:48:59 -0700
Phil :

According to a web site I found, a kWh is .034 US therm, so to buy a
therm of electricity would cost you $.0635/.034 = $1.87, almost 4 times
the price of natural gas.  However, many utility companies will give you
a 'volume discount' for having electric heat, which might get it down to
"only" 3:1.  And, the increased efficiency of electric heat (none of the
heat goes up the flue) might get the true cost down to maybe 2.5:1.  I'd
still go for the gas <g>

I believe the correct pipe for underground natural gas is a specially
coated black iron, but I would strongly suggest that you contact someone
who is familiar with the building codes in your area.  If you live
inside the city limits, it will probably be the city's building
inspector's office.  Otherwise it will be some county or state office.
They will know what pipe to use, how deep it must be buried, etc.

Otherwise, you run the risk of getting in trouble with your insurance
company, and/or the local government, if there should ever be a problem
(even if it's not your plumbing's fault).

I believe Harbor Freight sells a pipe threading set for $30-40.  It
should be adequate for occasional use.

Randall