point of clairity

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: point of clairity
From: Eric J Petrevich/LRM<inch@megageek.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:32:24 -0400
OK, now that we have someone here from a magazine, I've got a couple of
questions about copyrights.

First off, this is NOT a flame at all, it's just a couple of questions
about the law.
I've always thought that I can not reproduce any writing material ONLY if I
was either claiming it as mine own OR if I was making money with it.  It
was my understanding that as long as I gave credit to the author (and
publisher) that I wasn't breaking any laws.

So, if I read a magazine and give it to a friend, am I breaking the law?
What about if I post the info on a web page, am I breaking the law (a FREE
web page)
What about if I use the info in a school report?

Quite frankly, I'm more confused now.  FWIW, I have lots of material on my
web page (I also have the shop-talk  file archives among others)  and if
the stuff is not legal for me to have there, I'll remove it.  My intention
is just to share info (what the internet was created for) not to steal
others work.

Inch
http://megageek.com