Re: [Fwd: [rr MIG - what to get?

To: swhiteh3@mpdr0.detroit.mi.ameritech.net, vicwhit@home.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [rr MIG - what to get?
From: Dave Desilets - Sun BOS Hardware <Dave.Desilets@East.Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:48:20 -0400 (EDT)

As long as we're on the subject of welders.....

I have a Lincoln SP-170, which is the 220 Amp version.

I have had one very difficult time trying to weld Aluminum.

I've got the Aluminum kit installed.
Fresh tank of Argon Gas,
Kept the torch lead straight as possible.
Tried more feed/less feed
Tried more gas/less gas
Tried more amps/less amps.
Trier more stick-out/less stick-out.

Varied all of the above, and almost totally covered
a 2'square piece of aluminum with weld, practicing.
Nothing looked good or continuous.
Tried butting up a couple of beveled 1/8" plates, and
the welds basically looked like crap.

Could not get the right technique/combination to produce
a good weld.

I can lay a good bead on mild steel, but Aluminum apparently,is
an entirely different beast.

Has anyone on the list tried running aluminum wire with
success on a Lincoln???

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Dave