Brake Line Flaring Tool

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Line Flaring Tool
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 10:55:59 -0800
My son's '85 El Camino developed a leak in the brake line (hole in the line),
and I need to
"splice" in a new piece of 1/4 inch steel brake line to replace the bad
section.  I don't want to have to replace the whole line, because 1) the rest
of it's in good shape, and 2) I'd never be able to route a new line up, down,
around, and through everything like the stock line.

My problem is that my flaring tool (standard bar clamps from both sides; "cone"
is screwed into the tubing) will not hold the new tubing tightly enough to
flare the end (it pushes out of the clamp), let alone do a double flare.  Any
one have any suggestions as to where I can get a heavy duty flaring tool (that
can also do double flares) at a reasonable cost.  If it can do it in tight
spaces, that's a plus.  Since this is the first time in my life I've ever had
to do a brake line, I don't need a super heavy duty, "do it for a living" tool,
just one that will work well.  If I have to go to Snap-on (or equivalent) I
will, but price is the second priority after "do it right"...

Tim Mullen