Re: Flaring tools

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flaring tools
From: "Tim Mullen" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:15:36 -0800
A couple of days ago I asked about a flaring tool to repair the brake line on
my son's El Camino.

Well, as a result of the question (and all the responses - Thanks everyone), I
found out that there are places to buy already made brake lines for a large
variety of cars.

So.....   For $180, there is now a whole new set of Stainless Steel brake lines
- complete with Stainless Steel fittings and the gravel guard "spring" wrapped
around them - on it's way to my doorstep.  When it comes to buying the flaring
tool and tube benders, and parts, etc. plus the difficulty of trying to shape
and fit the lines, it doesn't take too much to figure out the best way to go.
Besides for a little more than twice the price of the good tools (that I
probably wouldn't use again for a long time), I'm now replacing ALL the lines
instead of just a small portion.

Now I won't have to worry about my son's brakes failing - just the drunks, bad
drivers, idiots, etc. that he has to share the road with...

Tim Mullen
Chantilly, VA

72 Lotus Elan Sprint
85 Chevy El Camino - soon to have new brake lines
93 Honda Accord
94 Mazda Miata - R package
96 Ford Ranger 4x4
and a couple of Yahama dirt bikes...