RE: Torque wrenches

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Torque wrenches
From: harry_phinney@hp.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 15:27:13 -0800
Randall Young wrote:
> Yes, in the sense they should be checked for accuracy periodically.
> However, I've never seen one that was adjustable (except for zero), so AFAIK
> if the accuracy is out of spec, you throw it away and buy another one.

I disagree slightly. Check a beam type torque wrench once after you buy it, and
that's it. Prior to each use check to be sure the pointer zeroes, and that's it.
The beam's modulus of elasticity will not change over time or through use. It
won't even change if you heat treat it in some way, although its yield strength
may change. If the pointer doesn't zero, then bend the small pointer rod until
it does.

Harry Phinney