Re: High-temp paint

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: High-temp paint
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:24:50 -0800
>> A lot of the cheap spray on paints have pretty specific instructions
>> about application and curing the paint before use.  None of them can even
>> come close to the permanent finish and thermal characteristics that a real
>> ceramic coating can provide.  So if you just spray on the paint and then
>drive
>> away, chances are the stuff will fail almost immediately.  If you
>meticulously
>> follow the application instructions, I bet it would last for a good 5 to 10
>> minutes.
>
>I was halfway in between.  My darling wubbie wouldn't let me cure the
>headers in the oven like the instructions said... so I carefully
>heated them with a torch.  Hey, it was worth a try.
>
>I probably made it about as far as 2 minutes. :P

I used hi-temp barbecue paint (black) on some sportbike headers.  Not
particularly
careful about the prep work, but I did put on several thick coats.  Stuck most
of
it (didn't entirely fit) in the oven for about 10 minutes  (word to the wise: if
you ask your wife if the kitchen smells funny, be sure to put all the baking
stuff
back into the oven first...).

The header paint lasted well through the first summer; a couple of years later,
it's now starting to show rust specks.  I'd say the environment is harsher than
a car, as it's in the direct line-of-fire of rain/debris from the front tire.
YMMV.