Re: toe - inches/degrees?

To: "Chris Heerschap" <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>, <cw26@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: toe - inches/degrees?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 00:07:57 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
To: cw26@daimlerchrysler.com <cw26@daimlerchrysler.com>
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, December 02, 1999 3:43 PM

>cw26@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
>> The service manual specs the toe alignment in degrees (per side).  Most
>> folks talk in fractions of an inch.
>>
>> Assume 1/16 toe out is the number.  Is that 1/16 per side or 1/16 total?
>> How many degrees per side?  Is there a conversion to do this?
>
>Unless it says per side, I'd assume the measurement is total.
>
>This is something I've wondered about... is toe measured from a
>consistent point?

The wheel rim.

>If I change to larger or smaller rims, has my toe
>setting just changed, even though the angle is still exactly the
>same?

The numbers in the fractional system will change but not a heck of a lot.
Remember that going from a 15" wheel to a 16" wheel is only an increase of
diameter of 7%.  What's 7% of 1/8"?  Nine thousandths.  You gonna sweat nine
thousandths?

The numbers in the degree of angle method will of course stay the same.

>What about different diameter tires?

No effect

>An angle measurement seems so much more logical... that way you don't
>have to worry about any conversion.

Makes sense to me.  Most modern machines will read in degrees.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/