Weed wackers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Weed wackers
From: Eric J Petrevich/LRM<inch@megageek.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 19:37:41 -0500
OK, I just want to post a follow up on a item that I got a few years ago
that REALLY impressed me this weekend.

The Ryobi "Quick-connect" weed wacker system.  This is a standard weed
wacker, with a removable bottom end.  You can put other items on it.  Like
a vacuum, leave blower, tiller, tree pruner. That way, one engine does the
job for all the tools.

A few years ago, I bought a factory reconditioned unit and got a "blower"
attachment and a "vac" attachment for it (all total about $125).  I used it
a couple of times and so it sat.

For about 2 years NEVER being touched, I wanted to try to start it and use
the leave blower.  Well, there is a DOCUMENTED way to start these things
that is weird.

Prime pump until firm
full choke
pull start until the engine sputters (and dies)
half choke
pull start and let warm up.

Wouldn't you know, in about 4 pulls altogether, it started right up!  Ran
fine.
Well, I wasn't expecting much for the blower.  But I couldn't believe how
well it was working!
Then, when I was done, I realized that I left the choke on half-way the
whole time.  I put the choke off and tried it again.  The power was
unbelievable!

So, for a motor that wasn't started for over 2 years to start right up AND
a "multipurpose" tool to perform so well, I was amazed.  Then I went to my
Harbor Freight catalogs with the intentions to buy the rest of the
attachments and I can't find it at all.
So, if you ever see one, I recommend it.

Disclaimer-I have NO interest in this protect beyond just being surprised
by how well it worked for the money.

Inch
Inch@megageek.com