Engine repair reference book

To: "Shop-talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine repair reference book
From: "Gary Kneisly" <kneisley@ohio.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:07:58 -0500

Somewhere there is a book that has hints and kinks on how to take apart and
reassemble automobile components, and explains all the glues, gunks,
lubricants and sealers needed to do the job right.  Anybody know of one?

Also, lacking such a reference perhaps you can help a novice with a simple
question:

Without benefit of a parts washer, what solvents or cleaning solutions are
preferred for cleaning engine parts?  More precisely, I have removed the
rocker covers from my Rover Efi V8 (Aluminum covers and aluminum block).
There is residue from the cork gaskets that won't come loose without some
chemical or physical help.  And, I don't want to scratch the cover sealing
edge so would prefer chemical assistance rather than scraping.  I've tried
"goof off adhesive cleaner" and a commercial "grease / wax remover" with
little effect.  Any hints?

What is the preferred method of reinstalling these covers with a cork
gasket?  Should the gasket be coated with anything to help it seal better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary
Grafton, OH