Re: Parts washer solution

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parts washer solution
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 23:55:44 -0500

Mike Rambour wrote:

> >What's everyone using for both of the above? I've used tide/kerosene 50/50
> >as well as light paint thinner in the parts washer; as far as sand for the
>
>    Sounds explosive I would be _really_ careful with those.

For my parts washer I use a kitchen sink set into my bench - no it doesn't
drain into the
city sewer [!] it drains into a sealed 5 gallon drum below the bench. This is
filled with
50/50 water and paint thinner.  The thinners floats on top of the water. In use
the pump
picks up from the upper half  [ie thinners]  and the drain returns via a long
pipe to the
bottom of the water. This "filters" the thinners and all the goop and bits drop
to the
bottom of the water.  Almost no fumes or smell - certainly less than when
painting by
brush - and the thinners lasts a long time.

When not in use the thinners is not exposed to the air since the drain tube
goes down into
the water. Also there is no need for a lid or safety device. Once the thinners
has
evaporated from the sink surface - I often wipe it off since the whole setup is
so neat
and sanitary - there's NO smell - if there were my SO's sensitive nose would
let me know!

Recommended to me by a fellow vintage racer.

It's cheap and good.

Derek