Re: Car hacker lists

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car hacker lists
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:40:11 EDT

> Anyone know of mailing lists devoted to hacking/understanding the
> electrical systems of cars?

No,
But after my bill at the Ford dealer last Friday, I'm ready for
such a list.

Simple problem:  need additional key and remote door unlock module
                for Windstar van

WOW!  End result $190!

Electronic key:         ~$45
Remote:                 ~$55
1hr labor to program:    $75
tax

Maybe the electronic key will keep the car from being stolen,
but when it's stolen at least my insurance has a deductable
limit.  Couple of keys, and I'm better off if someone steals
the van!

The parts cost is a grumble, with good old supply and demand
pushing up what ought to cost less.  But when I'm forced to
pay for an hour's shop time to make a replacement key work, it's
a bit much.  The owners manual gives a complex process (key on/off
multiple times, insert new key with x sec, etc) to activate a
new key, but says it's only valid if you have both original
keys (I don't).  I asked the dealer if I could do the process
myself, and they said only if I had access to Ford's master
computer system (???).

Any one know a way around this?  I spent awhile searching on
the Internet, but didn't find anything.

Thanks,
Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com