Re: Hydraulic press

To: Peter Schauss <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Hydraulic press
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 16:25:21 -0500
Peter Schauss wrote:

> I am thinking about getting a hydraulic press for such things
> as pressing wheel bearing races in and out of hubs
> and pressing the bearings on and off of the third motion
> shaft of a gearbox.  How big a press do I need for that sort
> of thing and can I get by with one from a place like
> Harbor Freight or should I look at a more expensive one?
>
> This is not something I would use more than once every
> month or so, but, at the same time, I need something which
> will do the job properly when I need it.
>
> Any recommendations on specific models would be appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> Peter Schauss
> Long Island, NY
> 1963 BJ7
> 1980 MGB

I built a press a number of years ago and installed a 5 ton jack, sure
that it would press anything.

As it turned out, it would NOT press anything of note. I replaced it
with a 10 ton jack and so far that has worked for everything automotive
except separating tapered TR4 hubs from thekr rear axles (that job
usually takes 50 tons!)

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 and still racing