Garage Floors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Garage Floors
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:09:42 -0400
OK, I know we've beat this to death in the past, but I still got some
questions.

As some of you may remember, I was the guy who bough the new property with
the "missile factories" on it.  (a shop and barn, measuring 40'X100' and
40'X200')
Anyway, I've started some of the VERY long punch down list for the place.
I need to concrete the garage floor.

Currently, the garage is a cinder block 1st floor and a wood second floor.
About 20'X15'.  It's got the old style sliding barn doors (but they work).

Now, the driveway is a little higher than the garage floor (which is
currently dirt)  So, I was planning on regrading the driveway to pitch
water away from the garage floor.  Then, dig out the garage floor and pour
concrete.

Now, first off, is there any problems with this?  I wanted to go down about
1'.  (I need to see what the current footings are however)

Next, is there anything I want to put IN the concrete?  Since I have
another shop that is heated and a/c'ed to do my work in, I wasn't going to
put in radiant floor tubing.  I was thinking about a drain, but I may just
pitch the floor to the front of the garage instead.

Lastly, is there any alternatives to concrete that I should look into?  I
remember something about "farmer's concrete" but I can't find it anywhere
in the archives.  Anything else?  TIA

Rev. Inch
inch@megageek.com