Re: Car gets hot

To: Mark Purtell <purtell@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Car gets hot
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:38:24 -0400
Mark Purtell wrote:

> Thanks for the help already, but I'm still a bit puzzled by the MGB's
> cooling system.  I flushed the system, and refilled the block and radiator
> with coolant.  Then I drove the car (to open up the thermostat) and added
> more coolant (I did this twice).  Now when I drive the car, the
> temperature needle moves up to the middle of the gauge temperature at a
> "normal" rate, and then once it reaches about halfway, it stays there for
> a minute or two and then it shoots up to the overheat area

  Check the water level again to be sure, when the sensor goes above
the water level it hits the hotter steam and ZOOOOOM.

  Another possible situation, check that the fan belt is
tight enough. I had this happen on a friends minivan, the
belt was loose, and as soon as the engine got warm it
lost it's grip and ZOOM.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca