Re: Gravel driveway

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Gravel driveway
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:39:59 -0400
Not to be picky, but civil engineers refer to asphalt as "bituminous concrete".
And surfaces can, of course, be "paved" with regular concrete also. Nothing is
simple.

But getting back to the original question, I have two gravel driveways. The one
to my garage has a 4" bed  of 1" cut stone for drainage and stability and a top
layer of "pretty" colored round river rocks for appearance. The other driveway
to my barn is just 1" cut stone about 4" deep. It works fine for parking
vehicles, but is terrible to do any work on - if you drop anything smaller than
a spark plug or socket, it just disappears among the stones, never to be found.
And God help you if you have to kneel or lie down to work - a bed of nails would
be more comfortable. I find that I have good luck with keeping a couple of old
flattened cardboard boxes around to use for a temporary surface. When the
cardboard gets too dirty or oily, I throw it out and get another. Jacks and jack
stands need to be supported with planks, or you run the serious risk of tipping.
Every couple of years I order another load of stone to make up for any that
seems to get lost over time. You also need to be careful using a lawn mower
around the stone, as you can pick one up and send it through a headlight or
window (don't ask me how I know about this).

Mike

--

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend,
to the death, your right to say it. -Voltaire (1694-1778)