Re: FAQ: Wiring a shop

To: Lee Hart <LeeHart@LeeHart.Com>
Subject: Re: FAQ: Wiring a shop
From: Martin Scarr <martins@efn.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 06:23:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Lee Hart wrote:

> Is  there anything else I should plan on running in the wall?

You didn't mention plumbing; I put a sink in my shop.  It gets used all
the time.

  Does anyone
> here have any strong opinions on how far to space the outlets? How about the
> number of outlets I should run for each circuit?

I have them 6 feet apart on one wall, 12 feet on the other.  Should have
gone 6 feet everywhere.  As far as the number of outlets for each circuit,
for general purpose outlets I'd figure 2 amps per outlet, so you'd get 10
on a 20 amp circuit.  You will need to decide what kind of machinery
you're going to have, and where it's going to be located so you can
install those special purpose outlets in advance.

> A blank slate is such a rare thing when wiring a shop. I'd really like to
> hear stories about things people wished they'd done inside the walls. I'd
> rather run too much than too little, so there'd be little or no need to rip
> open the walls again.

You mentioned having an dust collection system; you might want to prewire
for remote control of the system.

Martin Scarr